SELECTED CONFERENCES & INVITED TALKS
(For a selection of embedded videos see below)
- September 2021 Invited Speaker US Government Accountability Office – I designed and ran a workshop on ‘Tackling Disinformation and Extremism in DOD and the Military: Key Issues & Proposals’ administered by Syracuse University
- June 2021 Invited Speaker DFR Lab, Atlantic Council, ‘360/Open Summit: The World in Motion’ – panel on ‘Disinformation for Hire’, USA, June 2021
- April 2021 Invited Speaker International Law Section – panel on “Section 230 Beyond Borders: Comparative Intermediary Liability in the U.S., E.U., and Brazil – Part II”, USA
- January 2021 Invited Speaker American Bar Association Standing Committee on Law and National Security & Georgetown School of Foreign Service ‘Disinformation & Next Generation Social Media’
- November 2020 Invited Speaker CASIS: Canadian Association for Security and Intelligence Studies, Vancouver, BC ‘West Coast Security Conference’ – ‘Lessons from the Cambridge Analytica crisis: confronting today’s (dis)information challenges’
- November 2020 Invited Speaker Newhouse School of Public Communications, Syracuse University, (invited by Prof Jen Grygiel)
- November 2020 Invited Speaker Department of Communication, American University, Washington DC (invited by Prof Aram Sinnreich)
- November 2020 Invited Speaker University of Southern California, Department of Communication, The Dark Side of Public Diplomacy.
- October 2020 Invited Speaker Charles Sturt University, Australia ‘Data and Disinformation (and what we do about it)’.
- October 2020 Invited Speaker Goldsmiths, University of London ‘Trump: Data and Disinformation’ (invited by Prof Des Freedman)
- September 2020 Invited Speaker National Press Club, DC, USA ‘Dark PR: Disinformation for Hire’
- September 2020 Keynote 24th DiscourseNet conference, Université Saint-Louis, Bruxelles, Belgium: ‘Fear and Loathing in Cyberspace: Taking on the Digital Influence Industry’
- August 2020 Invited Speaker Internet Society DC, American University, School of Communication, DC, US – Moderated Debate on “Is Cambridge Analytica snake oil? Why or Why not?”
- November 2019 Invited Speaker University of Sussex, Sussex Salon, UK: ‘Can elections be made fairer by regulating fake news?’
- November 2019 Invited Speaker Department of Communication, American University, Washington DC (invited by Prof Aram Sinnreich)
- October 2019 Invited Speaker National Voting Rights Task Force, Annual Conference, Berkeley, CA.
- May 2019 Invited Speaker Center for Innovation, Growth and Society, Institute for New Economic Thinking, San Francisco, CA: Freedom of Speech/Freedom from Speech conference.
- April 2019 Invited Speaker Data Privacy Symposium, American University Internet Governance Lab in partnership with the Internet Society Washington, DC Chapter
- April 2019 Invited Speaker Department of Sociology, New York University, New York, NY, USA: ‘Propaganda in a Digital Age’ (invited by Prof. Steven Lukes).
- March 2019 Invited Speaker Human Rights Program, Bard College, Annenberg on Hudson, New York, USA ‘Propaganda Machine: The Hidden Story of Cambridge Analytica and the Digital Influence Industry’
- March 2019 Invited Speaker Department of Communication, University of Illinois, Chicago, USA: ‘Propaganda Machine: The Hidden Story of Cambridge Analytica and the Digital Influence Industry’ (invited by Prof Andrew Rojecki)
- March 2019 Invited Speaker Cyber Innovation and Society Institute & Department of Media Studies – Distinguished Speaker Series, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA: ‘Propaganda Machine: The Hidden Story of Cambridge Analytica and the Digital Influence Industry’
- March 2019 Invited Speaker Columbia Journalism School Graduate Seminar Lecture Series, New York, NY, ‘Propaganda in a Digital Age’ (invited by Prof. Anya Shiffrin).
- February 2019 Invited Speaker European Parliament, Brussels, Belgium: Strengthening Democracy Panel (invited by Molly Scott Cato MEP)
- February 2019 Invited Speaker School of Media and Public Affairs, George Washington University, USA:‘Propaganda Machine: The Hidden Story of Cambridge Analytica and the Digital Influence Industry’
- January 2019 Invited Speaker Internet Governance Lab Roundtable Speaker Series, American University, Washington, DC, USA:‘Propaganda Machine: The Hidden Story of Cambridge Analytica and the Digital Influence Industry’
- November 2018 Invited Speaker InfoWarCon, Leesberg, VA, USA: ‘Government Contracting and the Influence Industry: Responses to the Problem of Digital Propaganda’
- October 2018 Invited Speaker Europe for the Many, LSE, London, UK: ‘Resisting the data oligarchs: digital rights and the digital commons’
- June 2018 International Communication Association Annual Convention, Prague, Czech Republic: ‘Competing Propagandas: Russian and US mutual representation of propaganda efforts’
- May 2018 Invited Speaker ‘Databites’, Data & Society, NY, USA: ‘SCL and Cambridge Analytica: Studying the propaganda machine’
- April 2018 Invited Speaker Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Center for Muslim-Christian Understanding, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA: ‘SCL & Cambridge Analytica: inside the Propaganda Machine’
- April 2018 Invited Speaker ‘New Agendas’ Conference, University of Texas, Austin TX, USA: ‘The Democratic Elite: Inequality and Communication Failure in 2016’
- April 2018 International Studies Association Annual Convention, San Francisco, CA, USA: ‘SCL, Cambridge Analytica and Researching the Field of Propaganda’
- January 2018 Invited Speaker University of Essex, UK Department of Sociology: The Democratic Elite: Inequality and Communication Failure in 2016
- October 2017 Invited Speaker 2nd Annual Take Back The Vote Conference, Berkeley, CA, USA ‘Political Communication and Propaganda during #Election2016’
- April 2017 Invited Speaker George Washington University, Washington DC, USA: Program on New Approaches to Research and Security in Eurasia Workshop, ‘Russian and US propaganda and representing identity’
- April 2017 Political Studies Association Annual Convention, Glasgow, UK: ‘Legitimating propaganda: narratives of peace v war’
- March 2017 Invited Speaker George Washington University, Washington DC, USA: School of Media and Public Affairs: ‘Pentagon Ju-jitsu’ – Changing Field in Production Of US Counter-terrorism Propaganda’
- February 2017 International Studies Association Annual Convention, Baltimore MD: ‘Iraq for the Iraqis’ Coalition Propaganda & Iraq Reconstruction 2003-2004′ & ‘Competing propagandas: Russian & US representation of propaganda’
- October 2016 Invited Speaker Lund University, Sweden: Workshop on CVE & Information Warfare
- June 2016 Invited Speaker for Media Education in Scotland, UK: ‘Reporting the Refugee Crisis’
- June 2016 Invited Speaker Free University Berlin, Germany: ‘Propaganda and Counter-terrorism’
- April 2016 Invited Speaker University of Glasgow, UK: Human Rights & Media Conference: Reflections for Policy Makers, NGOs and Journalists
- March 2016 Invited Speaker International Studies Association Conference Atlanta, GA: Distinguished Scholar Panel in Honour of Prof Robert Entman & Presented at ISA International Communication Pre-Conference on: ‘Interviewing and Ethnography in Propaganda Research: Benefits, Challenges and Solutions for ‘Risky’ Methods’
- January 2016 Invited Speaker Coventry University, UK, School of Media and Communication: ‘Propaganda and Counter-terrorism’
- January 2016 Invited Speaker; Cambridge University Union, UK: Debate Proposition: ‘This House Believes The Media’s Reporting Is Detrimental to Humanitarian Crises Around The World’.
- December 2015 Invited Speaker US Department of Defence: Strategic Multilayer Assessment Research Team, Special Speaker Series via Telecon.
- November 2015 Invited Speaker University of Aberystwyth, Wales, UK: Annual Lecture of Security Research Group at Department of International Politics.
- August 2015 Invited Participant NATO Strategic Communication Centre of Excellence, Riga, Latvia, StratCom Dialogue: ‘Perception Matters’.
- July 2015 IAMCR Convention, Montreal, Canada, ‘Paternalism and Structures of Legitimacy in post 9/11 US Propaganda’.
- July 2015 Invited Speaker Brunel University, UK: DATA-PSST! Media Agenda-Building, National Security, Trust & Forced Transparency.
- June 2015 University of Bath, UK – Understanding Conflict ‘Pentagon Ju-Jitsu: PSYOP & Public Affairs Propaganda War.
- May 2015 Invited Speaker University of California, Davis, USA ‘The Iraq War: New Perspectives’
- April 2015 Invited Speaker Thinking Media, Glasgow, UK, ‘Shock and Awe to Liberation;: Iraq 2003 the Media’.
- July 2015 Invited Speaker Kings College London, UK: Seminar for DATA-PSST! ESRC Seminar Series on ‘Debating the Technical and Ethical Aspects of Privacy and Transparency’.
- March 2015 University of Sheffield, UK: Teaching Excellence in Social Sciences Conference, ‘Developing innovations in my Journalism Studies academic teaching’.
- March 2015 Invited Participant by Lord Skidelsky: Symposium on ‘Power and Economics’ at House of Lords.
- March 2015 Invited Speaker: St Agnes School, Chester, UK: First International Conference for School-age Children on Media & Propaganda.
- March 2015 Debating the Technical and Ethical Aspects of Privacy and Transparency (part of DATA-PSST! ESRC Seminar Series)
- November 2014 Invited speaker South Yorkshire Muslim Community Forum, Rotherham, UK:
Panel on ‘Muslims in the Media’.
- October 2014 Off the Shelf Festival, Sheffield, UK, ‘Propaganda and Counter-terrorism’
- June 2014 Keynote: Loughborough University, UK, Conference on Communication, Culture and Citizenship: Immigration: ‘Refugees in the News: Scapegoats for Austerity’.
- April 2014 Invited Speaker University of Qatar, Doha, Qatar, Media and Crises: The Art of Manipulation and Propaganda; ‘Pentagon Ju-Jitsu: the PSYOP and Public Affairs Propaganda War’
- February 2014 Invited Speaker Sheffield Hallam University, UK ‘Migration ‘Facts & fictions’ Conference’.
- January 2014 Invited Speaker Lancaster University, UK. Sociology Seminar Series, ’Refugees in the News: Scapegoats for Austerity’.
- November 2013 Bournemouth University, UK PSA Media and Politics Group Conference ‘Media Representation of Refugees’ and ‘Media Coverage of Disability in Support of Austerity’
- December 2013 University of Sheffield, UK Launch Event: Bad News for Refugees
- October 2013 Center for Contemporary Arts, Glasgow, UKLaunch: Bad News for Refugees
- November 2012 University of Leicester, UK ‘Mediating Disability in ‘Broken Britain’’.
- May 2011 DeMontfort University, UK “Mediation of Security” Conference.
- June 2008 Culture & Conflict Symposium, Cranfield University, UK ‘Information Operations during the ‘War on Terror’: Anglo-American Negotiation of British Policy in Afghanistan’.
- October 2006 Maastricht Centre for Transatlantic Studies, Netherlands 4th Biennial Transatlantic Studies Conference Transatlantic Conflict & Consensus: Culture, History and Politics ‘Anglo-American Relations in Contemporary Wartime Propaganda and Information Operations’.
- June 2006 NATO Advanced Research Workshop, Centre for Defense Against Terrorism, Ankara, Turkey MEDIA: Vital Ground For Terrorist Operations, ‘Struggle for Influence over Public Opinion within the Media & Information Context of the War on Terror”.
- April 2005 Political Studies Association Conference, University of Leeds, UK ‘Propaganda during the War in Afghanistan’
April 2019 Interviewed in ‘Attack on Democracy’ – this is the short 30min documentary on #brexit crimes and lies by ZDF (big TV in Germany), they filmed my talk at the European Parliament on Facebook with interviews Nigel Farage, Carole Cadwalladr, Arron Banks, whistleblowers too. This is an English language subtitled version the final cut is a 45 minutes version. It will be aired @ZDFinfo on April, 25 th at 7:15 pm GMT
May 2018 Invited Speaker ‘Databites’, Data & Society, NYC: ‘SCL and Cambridge Analytica: Studying the propaganda machine’:
17/04/2018 Here is an Interview with me on the BBC radio 4 Today Programme talking about the Cambridge Analytica evidence, Trump, Brexit and ‘What’s wrong with the Democrats?’ – starts at 2:33:00
October 2017 Invited Speaker 2nd Annual Take Back The Vote Conference, Berkeley ‘Political Communication and Propaganda during #Election2016’
January 2016 Invited Speaker; Cambridge University Union, UK. Proposition: ‘This House Believes The Media’s Reporting Is Detrimental to Humanitarian Crises Around The World’.